Multiple Sclerosis Community
Help understanding CSF analysis

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Help understanding CSF analysis

I am 60 years old and have had four years of depression and gradually increasing weakness in my legs. I have not others health problems. I had an MRI which indicated "Nonspecific scattered foci of T2 hyperintensity in the bilateral supratentorial white matter. This can be seen in the setting of dymyelination although small vessel ischemic disease can have a very similar appearance."  The results of neuropsych testing were ""mild frontotemporal dysfunction" and severely impaired fine motor coordination for the right hand and mildly impaired fine motor coordination for the left hand".  The copy of the laboratory results of the lumbar puncture mention "note" for oligo bands mayo but I do not see a "note" The only abnormalities were MBP CSF-Mayo 0.47 (0.00-1.10-) and Glucose 66 (-). The IGG INDEX CSF-MAYO just says "note" but there is no "note" in the results I received. My neurologist suggested waiting a year and repeating the MRI. I am concerned because my symptoms seem to be getting worse. I hope this post isn't too long!
I waited 6 months and we did a second MRI.  I had more lesions.  In my clinical setting, that was enough for a diagnosis of MS.   Talk with you doctor about 6 or 9 months "watch and wait."

As far as your CSF analysis, if there is nothing in the note, it may be negative.   Depends on the lab.

Bob