Stem cells and MS
There's been a lot about this in the news lately. Just this morning I saw a man on TV who had been injected with his own stem cells, and even though he has MS he looked hale and hearty and said he feels great. He also said that otherwise he is sure he'd be in a wheelchair by now.

Does anyone have good info on the progress of this kind of research?

ess
Hi, ess~

No, I don't have any good info on this, but I think stem cell treatments sound so very promising.  I appreciate the controversy, but is it so controversial if one's own cells are used?  I would guess not.

We have a breast cancer patient at the office here whose cancer had metasticized through to other parts of her body, including her liver and collarbone, which was incredibly painful.  She is a young mother of three children.  I interviewed her for one of the studies we conduct in the prctice.

She had some sort of "stem cell chemotherapy."  She said it nearly killed her.  It destroyed all her fast-growing cells (to attack the cancer, I would assume) and the stem cells were hers somehow.  Being a layperson, I wish I knew more about it.  It was so intriguing.  

There she was with Stage 4 cancer, and a very grim prognosis, indeed, with so many systems invaded by cancer.  She had three very motivating reasons to try anything she could to survive, and went for the grueling treatment.  She's here, 3 years later.  The doctor I work for will tell you her prognosis is still not so wonderful.  But she just bounces everywhere she goes.    I sent her a note once, telling her that she inspired me, which is pretty unprofessional, but I don't care.  She does, and should know.

I mention it because I think it is very exciting and has great potential.  Whenever I see or hear something about stem cell treatment, I always listen/read keenly.  It seems so very promising.  It's your body's own prescription medicine.  Very cool.  God's gift.

I hope we can understand it more and more and find more practical uses for it.  Thanks for bringing it up!

Zilla*