Multiple Sclerosis Community
Update and New Symptom - Anyone else have this?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Went to the neuro opthamologist and a follow up with the eye movement specialist.  My neurontin prescription has been doubled to see if it will reduce the amount of nystagmus I have so that we can work on the double vision.  Doctor says I have bilateral 6th nerve palsy and also a problem with my 7th and 8th nerves.  He believes there is an issue with the brain stem and ordered another mri, which I had today.  Won't receive the results for at least a couple of days.

My new symptom is that I can no longer sit up from a lying position without either coming up on my elbows and pushing off with my arms or rolling over on my side and pushing off with my arms.  I am in fairly good condition and have always been able to do sit ups and leg lifts, but now I can't sit up even if I swing my arms from over my head towards my feet to help get momentum to sit up.  The muscles in my abdomen have been very shakey (shaky)/uncoordinated for several months, but I have still been able to do sit ups without using my arms.  The movements, however, have not been smooth and have been very jerky/shakey movements like the muscles in my abdomen just weren't working together.  A couple of nights ago, I discovered that I could no longer sit up from a lying position.  I woke up from a sound sleep at 1 a.m. and tried to sit up and I couldn't.  It freaked me out and I couldn't sleep the rest of the night.

Anyone else have this difficulty?
Tags: double vision, nystagmus, 6th nerve palsy, unable to sit up unassisted, brain stem, Multiple system atrophy, facial tremor