Nutrition Expert Forum
B12 deficiency

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

B12 deficiency

I have been diagnosed with an Immune Deficiency (complement MBL deficiency) and also Fibromyalgia and jsut had blood work done and found out that my B12 level was low.  They told me that it was 400 and is suppose to be between 200-1100(not sure if that is correct but it is what they told me).  I have been suffering fatique really bad and have lost half of my hair and wonder if it would be a good idea for me to get the B12 shots?  My physician told me I would maybe have to get them if the level goes down anymore but since I have a immune deficiency, would it be a wise idea to start to get them now??
Thank you
The range of normal B12 is from160-950pg/ml. Reason for such wide range is due to vitamin B12 are in our tissues plus in the blood so it is difficult to have a true reading. Some people have low vitamin B12 levels due to folate deficiency. I suggest you get a complete Iron profile blood work, which includes MCV, Serum B12, MMA, serum folate, and RBC folate so you can see if you are really deficient in any vitamin Bs or not. If the tests show you are deficient in vitamin B12 injections work the best. Best of luck.