Nutrition Expert Forum
Fish oil and surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

Fish oil and surgery

I am a nursing mother who takes fish oil supplements daily. My baby is scheduled for surgery in about 6 weeks, and I've read that fish oil acts as a blood thinner, and should not be taken before surgery. Can the fish oil I'm taking affect my breastmilk enough to influence his ability to clot? If so, how long before his surgery should I stop taking it?
It can effect the blood. If you are concerned, I suggest you have your son's blood tested for clotting and if it is fine then the fish oil supplement had no effect on him. If there is an issue with clotting, then suggest you stop taking the fish oil until after your son's surgery.