Nutrition Expert Forum
Iron Deficiency

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

Iron Deficiency
My 14 year old son was moody, depressed, and ears ringing. At first our doctor said it was probably puberty. When my son told me he had a lot of headaches and felt dizzy, it reminded me of when I had low hemoglobin after the birth of my first son. With persistence from me, my son was tested for hemoglobin and iron values. Both were very low, he began taking iron. As long as he takes the vitamins with minerals, he is normal. He eats the same as the rest of the family, but cannot keep a normal hemoglobin without the supplement. I questioned a parasite infection and was told that is unlikely. I still wonder if there is something going on that is depleting his iron,otherwise why wouldn't he be able to maintain a normal value. What is the next step?
Suggest you get a complete Iron profile blood work, which includes MCV, Serum B12, MMA, serum folate, and RBC folate so you can see if you are really deficient in Iron or any vitamin Bs or not. Sometimes a decreased Iron may be a decreased Vitamin B12 or folate.