Nutrition Expert Forum
Should I add Mag or Calcium with Vit D scrip?

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

Hello! My vit D test came back at 18nm on May 17. My calcium came back as 9.1. I am wondering if I should be adding calcium or magnesium (they didn't check level) along with the 50,000 IU D2 once a week for 12 weeks prescription given to me by ob/gyn. I am otherwise healthy. I would like to resolve this quickly as I have been suffering from fatigue, pain and brain fog for 3 years. I am very hopeful this is the answer as they can not find anything else wrong. Thank you in advance!
Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?
:  
Female
What is your (or the subject of the question) height?
:  
5'6"
What is your (or the subject of the question) weight (kg or lb)?
:  
Low Vit D- Calium normal
If you (or the subject of the question) is under 18, please state your age:
:  
48
Vitamin D may decrease from certain medications such as certain anti-seizure, corticosteroids, heparin, certain antibiotics, mineral oil, and antacids; or certain disease states such as celiac disease, Crohn’s disease and Whipple’s disease. Insufficiency may cause symptoms such as bone loss, osteomalacia (in adults), and impaired Calcium absorption may occur due to very low levels of the vitamin. Your Calcium levels are normal and do not seemed to be effected. An intake of Vitamin D 400 IU is sufficient for your age. You should not go over that amount in supplementation. 2000 IU is the tolerable upper intake level for adults; however, you can be at risk for toxicity (weak muscles, weak bones, excessive bleeding, and kidney stones). Vitamin D is available through our foods - Fortified milk, breakfast cereals, egg yolks, fatty fish, fish oils, and the sun. Sit at a window with the sun shining in for about 1/2 hour (few times a week) and that will help you get enough Vitamin D. Suggest finding out the cause of the deficiency to treat it and recommend having an Iron profile (if it was not done) which would indicate folic, vitamin B12, vitamin B6, and Iron levels to determine if you have any anemia or not due to the symptoms you stated. Thank you for your question.