Nutrition Expert Forum
What is our "real" potassium daily requirement?

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

The RDA for potassium is set at 4,700 mg/day. I honestly don't know of anyone who watches their potassium intake and I don't see anyone really eating any kind of diet that is high in potassium.

I strive to eat a potassium-rich diet, eating avocados and beans every day, yet I know I'm not reaching even 3,500 mg/day.

How can so many people in the world not be concerned about potassium, yet walk around healthy?
Potassium is found in mostly all foods (fruits, vegetables, certain meats, beans, dairy) so you are able to consume the amount recommended. It is recommended to eat "5" a day of fruits and vegetables to help increase consummation of potassium. The following foods have higher levels of potassium: figs, beans (kidney)-1 cup, avocado- ½ medium, molasses- 1Tbsp, orange juice-1 cup, banana-1 medium, milk (nonfat)-1 cup, salmon-3oz, sweet potato/potato- ½ cup, mushrooms- ½ , chicken breast- ½ , sunflower seeds- 1oz,  and whole wheat bread- 1 slice. If you are concerned about your potassium, suggest having blood work. Normal levels of Potassium is 3.5-5 mEq/L in the blood. Hoped this helped you.