Nutrition Expert Forum
What is our "real" potassium daily requirement?

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

The RDA for potassium is set at 4,700 mg/day. I honestly don't know of anyone who watches their potassium intake and I don't see anyone really eating any kind of diet that is high in potassium.

I strive to eat a potassium-rich diet, eating avocados and beans every day, yet I know I'm not reaching even 3,500 mg/day.

How can so many people in the world not be concerned about potassium, yet walk around healthy?
Tags: potassium
Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?
:  
Female
Potassium is found in mostly all foods (fruits, vegetables, certain meats, beans, dairy) so you are able to consume the amount recommended. It is recommended to eat "5" a day of fruits and vegetables to help increase consummation of potassium. The following foods have higher levels of potassium: figs, beans (kidney)-1 cup, avocado- ½ medium, molasses- 1Tbsp, orange juice-1 cup, banana-1 medium, milk (nonfat)-1 cup, salmon-3oz, sweet potato/potato- ½ cup, mushrooms- ½ , chicken breast- ½ , sunflower seeds- 1oz,  and whole wheat bread- 1 slice. If you are concerned about your potassium, suggest having blood work. Normal levels of Potassium is 3.5-5 mEq/L in the blood. Hoped this helped you.