Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Abdominal Exercise
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Abdominal Exercise

Hi Dr Goodman  Following 2 Laparotomy's for Ovarian Cancer can I ask when will i be able to start doing exercises to strengthen my abdominal muscles. I have been doing lots of walking and pelvic floor exercises to build up stamina but I have a few pieces of equipment Rowing Machine, Cross Trainer, Spin Bike. I am now 14 weeks Post operative 2nd Laparotomy. Kind Regards Scoob
Related Discussions
242604_tn?1328124825
Hi Scoob,

You can start exercising now.  The standard recommendation is : no heavy lifting or using the abdominal muscles for 6 weeks after a laparotomy.
This is because it takes about 6 weeks for the fascia to reach maximum strength and repair after being cut.
The fascia is the white shiny layer that covers the muscles. If this layer does not heal, a person will get a hernia. A hernia is a weakness in the  abdominal wall.

It is important to slowly increase your activities. If you do too much, you will strain or sprain your muscles. This is really painful and it can take months to heal a sprain.
best wishes
1 Comment
Blank
A related discussion, Exercise after an operative laparoscopy was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Chemotherapy Tracker
Chemotherapy Tracker