Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Diagnosing Ovarian Cancer
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Diagnosing Ovarian Cancer

Hello -

For about 2-1/2 months I've been having this dull abdminal pain on my left side only.  I figured this is around the ovaries, so made an appointment for a pelvic exam & PAP smear.  I had the PAP smear and pelvic exam yesterday and immediately the doctor noted that there is a 'fullness' and is sending me for a pelvic ultrasound an endovag scan.  When she examined me, I could feel pain on my left side, and in the middle of my pelvis. I didn't think much of it while still at the doctor's office, but now have so many questions that I am driving myself crazy.

What is meant by 'fullness'?
What can fullness cause?  Ovarian cancer, uterine cancer, PID, etc., etc.?
The doctor also wrote down examination requested: GOPOAbo, LIF pain x 2/12 (what does this mean???), LIF fullness, and R/O ovarian pathology (what does this mean???).

I am 30, never had any kids, not on BC pills.  From everything I've been reading, it seems that to 'cure' those gyne cancers, ovaries, uterus, etc., need to be removed.  I would definitely want to have children, so this is scary.  How quickly does cancer grow?  My last PAP was ~5 years ago (normal results), so what are the chances that if this were a cancer, that it's early stage so fertility could be preserved?  Also, the Dr. said I need to wait 6 weeks for the PAP result - this seems long?  Today the pain has gotten progressively worse and my pelvis/abdomen is very sensitive/sore and I can feel this all the way up to my left ribs now.  I'm hoping to be able to get the ultrasound this week, but it doesn't feel right to wait 6 weeks to see my Dr. again.  Am I overreacting, or when should I be concerned?  Is there any chance that this could just be something harmless that'll have no lasting side-effects?  How long does it take for cancers to be diagnosed?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Aglaia