Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Diagnosing Ovarian Cancer

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Diagnosing Ovarian Cancer

Hello -

For about 2-1/2 months I've been having this dull abdminal pain on my left side only.  I figured this is around the ovaries, so made an appointment for a pelvic exam & PAP smear.  I had the PAP smear and pelvic exam yesterday and immediately the doctor noted that there is a 'fullness' and is sending me for a pelvic ultrasound an endovag scan.  When she examined me, I could feel pain on my left side, and in the middle of my pelvis. I didn't think much of it while still at the doctor's office, but now have so many questions that I am driving myself crazy.

What is meant by 'fullness'?
What can fullness cause?  Ovarian cancer, uterine cancer, PID, etc., etc.?
The doctor also wrote down examination requested: GOPOAbo, LIF pain x 2/12 (what does this mean???), LIF fullness, and R/O ovarian pathology (what does this mean???).

I am 30, never had any kids, not on BC pills.  From everything I've been reading, it seems that to 'cure' those gyne cancers, ovaries, uterus, etc., need to be removed.  I would definitely want to have children, so this is scary.  How quickly does cancer grow?  My last PAP was ~5 years ago (normal results), so what are the chances that if this were a cancer, that it's early stage so fertility could be preserved?  Also, the Dr. said I need to wait 6 weeks for the PAP result - this seems long?  Today the pain has gotten progressively worse and my pelvis/abdomen is very sensitive/sore and I can feel this all the way up to my left ribs now.  I'm hoping to be able to get the ultrasound this week, but it doesn't feel right to wait 6 weeks to see my Dr. again.  Am I overreacting, or when should I be concerned?  Is there any chance that this could just be something harmless that'll have no lasting side-effects?  How long does it take for cancers to be diagnosed?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Aglaia
Hi there
fullness can mean your bladder was full, you have gas in your bowel or are sconstipated , or you have an ovarian cyst. It is a nonspecific term.

A pelvic ultrasound will help define whether you indeed have a cyst or whether your pain is from irritable bowel.

When one doesn't feel well, it is a natural tendency to assume something really awful is going on.
At age 30, luckily it is rare but not impossible for a serious medical condition to have developed.

You have done the right thing which is - gotten a good evaluation.  Be sure that you follow up with your doctor after your pelvic ultrasound. Yes it can take 6 weeks for pap smear to come back.
take care