Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
I am 16 wks preg and have a large abdominal mass

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

I just came from my OB/GYN after undergoing a specialist visit due to a large abdominal growth in may abdomin (abdomen). I am 16 weeks pregnant and an ultrasound was used for dx.  My ob/gyn wants to remove this asap due to size-34cm x 25cm x19cm (this is only a guess on the size since the ultrasound screen was not large enough to capture the entire mass) Probable DX: Serous Cysticadenanoma or Mucinous Cysticadenanoma. This Dx is based on size only- My conern is that my OB/Gyn does not want to do an MRI nor a CA-125 blood test because he said the outcome will be the same-removal.  He plans to aspirate part of the tumor then remove it through an incision above my belly button.  He said aspiration was necessary or he would need to incise from hip bone to  hip bone to remove.  I am afraid that this tumor will contain Cancerous or precancerous cells and the specialist said she would not reccomend aspiration because these cells could be leaked into the abdomen, she recommended that it be removed all in one piece so the risk was lower to me.  They both said the risk to baby was low, so my concern is for myself.  He has scheduled me for surgery in 5 days, should I get a 2cnd opinion? What is the risk of aspiration vs larger incision and removal?
Tags: Abdominal mass, 16 wks preg
Hi There
you ask really good questions
I agree that a mass that size needs to be removed
the best time for surgery in pregnancy is between 16 and 20 weeks.

The decision to aspirate the mass first is based on the way the mass looks on ultrasound. One can only aspirate or withdraw fluid from a cyst if there is fluid there. This cannot be done for solid masses.

Usually, ultrasound is the best test in pregnancy. MRI is used if it s unclear if this is ovarian versus uterine.

I hope everything went well with your surgery
best wishes