Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
hysterectomy on a patient with reverse illeostomy
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

hysterectomy on a patient with reverse illeostomy

I had a reverse illeostomy many years ago and have been living a pretty normal life. Now I have cysts on both ovaries, one that is very suspicious, but my doctor seems to think that it is too risky to operate since I may have alot of scar tissue and an internal pouch.  He has been putting off surgery for several years, but now I am having alot of pain.  I do not want to wait because I am afraid it may turn into cancer.  What are the chances that I may have to have a colostomy bag after my hysterectomy?
Related Discussions
242604_tn?1328124825
Hi there,
Thank you for your good question. There are standard risks with abdominal surgery. these include:
blood loss , needing a blood transfusion
infection,
blood clots
injury to the bowel, bladder, ureters (tubes that take the urine from kidneys to bladder), and blood vessels.

Now most surgeries go fine with no complications.
The risk of a complication is related to other medical or surgical problems.
So people with diabetes have a higher risk of infection. people with vascular and heart disease have a higher risk of a postop heart attack and stroke. and so on.

if you had bowel surgery because of a chronic problem with your bowel such as Crohn's disease, you may have a Lot of adhesions. you may have a risk of bowel injury or the development of a fistula (connection between bowel and skin). if you had bowel surgery for an isolated problem and you have no active bowel trouble now, you should not have an excessively high risk of problems.

it could be that your doctor does not have alot of experience operating on people with prior bowel surgery. I would suggest having a consultation with a gyn oncologist. Surgery in the setting of prior bowel surgery is a standard operation for a gyn oncologists.
best wishes
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Chemotherapy Tracker