Ovarian Cysts Expert Forum
Pre-op blood test include HCG?
About This Forum:

Welcome to the Ovarian Cysts Forum. This is a place where you can ask your ovarian cyst questions and receive answers from highly trained physicians whose expertise is ovarian cysts. You will also find other members who share your interest in ovarian cysts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Pre-op blood test include HCG?

I am scheduled for a laparoscopic oophorectomy this coming Friday. I went for my pre-op blood tests today and noticed on the way there that the doctor's requisition included HCG along with the typical CBC stuff.

Doing a quick search, I see that HCG is usually drawn as a pregnancy test and for some types of tumors and cancers.  

I am 6 years postmenopausal and a CA125 test two weeks ago was normal. In fact, she recommended that I do the wait and see approach on the 4 cm complex cyst so she didn't seem worried about it being cancer. Unfortunately, the pain was the deciding factor in having it removed now. She believes it is twisting on itself.

Based on all this information, I am curious as to why she would have this blood test drawn pre-operatively.

Thanks in advance for your information.
3065871_tn?1340911928
This is not uncommon to order a beta hcg for preop labs on any woman--often it can be part of an order set.  but this can also be a tumor marker as well and if negtive, that is good news.  it definitely sounds like this should be removed, so sounds like you are in great hands.  good luck.  
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity