Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Community
Other POP Issues

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) COMMUNITY. This forum welcomes all discussions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

Other POP Issues

I am 63.  After a trip to the Urgent Care facility for the sudden onset of vaginal bleeding (and a self visual check which showed a red nodule something protruding from my vagina area), the non gyno doctor said that it was his opinion that I had a prolapsed cervix and would need to be seen by a specialist.  I am having a great deal of difficulty finding a provider in my insurance that will do an initial examination, let alone someone who specializes in this procedure.  I had 2 very large children in my early 20s and also a "complete" hysterectomy over 20 years ago.  I did not think I still had a cervix but don't know after all these years.  I do know I have no ovaries and took HRT for many years before stopping it completely almost 5 years ago.  I have not had any trouble urinating other than a slight pressure and that I do not seem to have a "full force" stream and have no bowel problems or pain.  I continue to have bleeding, am using panti - liners and changing up to 4 a day.  I did fiind a gynocologist and have an initial appointment Thursday, but after finding this website, I am concerned on what may be happening and what kind of doctor I should look for.  Is it a urogynocologist?  Could there be something else?  What kind of questions should I be asking?  Can this happen if you have no cervix?  I was an active person....what about the future of my exercise program?  Will I be able to play racquet sports again?  Lift weights?  Any insight would be tremendously helpful! Thanks.
I can understand your concern and all the questions you have.  The best starting point would be with your gynecologist.  Take a list of all your questions you posted above or make a copy and bring it with you to your doctor appt.  Depending on the outcome of your appt and your satisfaction you might feel you need a second opinion.  In that case I recommend you to see a urogynecologist.  You can google that in your area and see if there are doctors close to you.  I googled my state universities with medical programs and found my surgeon that way.  They specialize in both urology and gynecology.  Hopefully you will get your diagnosis with treatment plan when you see the doctor on Thursday.  Please keep us informed of your progress and if you have any other questions.