Physical Therapy Expert Forum
break down fat in paralysis

This is a place to get answers to your personal questions about how physical therapy can help you recover from injuries or lessen pain caused by chronic conditions such as arthritis.

break down fat in paralysis

I have an uncle that is paralyzed from the waist down. Over the last few years he has been gaining quite a bit of weight. I am curious to know if there is an exercise that can be performed to eliminate the fat in his legs. Can fat be broken down with the loss of muscle function? If we were able to sit him on an motorized exercise bike, would the movement break down the fat?

Thank you in advance for all your help!
Exercising the upper extremities is just as effective as exercising the lower extremities for fat loss.  The myth of losing weight in certain areas based on selection is a common misconception.  Fat loss is eliminated in the reverse order of the locations it was gained.  Moderate to low level exercise for long durations such as an upper body ergometer (UBE) is similar to a bicycle for your arms will help to induce cardiovascular exercise similar to walking and biking.  Be sure to consult with your uncle's primary care physician and/or neurologist to establish an upper body program for your uncle to be sure there are no precautions to exercise.
Best in Health,
JAG