Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
Ovarian Biopsy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

Ovarian Biopsy

I don't know if this is the correct forum to post this question, but I'll shoot....I've been trying to conceive and my OBY/GYN thinks that I could have PCOS.  We did an ultrasound and now he wants to do a laparoscopic ovarian biopsy to confirm the diagnosis.  Has anyone had this done?  What is the procedure like?  Are you completely out or do they just do a local anasthetic?  I have looked all over the internet and can't find any information on the actual procedure and what to expect.  I will ask my doctor in a few days, but I can't wait that long!!!  If anyone has any info, it would be appreciated.  I'd like to get an ounce of sleep tonight!!!
erm. i didn't have the biopsy as they could tell  from the ultra sound. but as far as the lap, heres a little info on a med web that i look up everything on. hope it helps.

Laparoscopic surgery, also called minimally invasive surgery (MIS), bandaid surgery, keyhole surgery, or ben ogg surgery is a modern surgical technique in which operations in the abdomen are performed through small incisions (usually 2-3cm) as compared to larger incisions needed in traditional surgical procedures. Laparoscopic surgery includes operations within the abdominal or pelvic cavities, whereas keyhole surgery performed on the thoracic or chest cavity is called thoracoscopic surgery. Laparoscopic and thoracoscopic surgery belong to the broader field of endoscopy.

The key element in laparoscopic surgery is the use of a laparoscope: a telescopic rod lens system, that is usually connected to a video camera (single chip or three chip). Also attached is a fiber optic cable system connected to a 'cold' light source (halogen or xenon), to illuminate the operative field, inserted through a 5 mm or 10 mm cannula or Trocar to view the operative field. The abdomen is usually insufflated with carbon dioxide gas to create a working and viewing space. The abdomen is essentially blown up like a balloon (insufflated), elevating the abdominal wall above the internal organs like a dome. The gas used is CO2, which is common to the human body and can be absorbed by tissue and removed by the respiratory system. It is also non-flammable, which is important because electrosurgical devices are commonly used in laparoscopic procedures.

Laparoscopic biopsy is done under general anesthesia, which relaxes your muscles, puts you to sleep, and keeps you from feeling pain.

Hope this helps Lisa
I start metformin 2mora so not sleeping anyway the curse of my infertility.