Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
Possible PCOS???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

Possible PCOS???

Hi! I gave birth 8 months ago via C-section. It was an emergency cesarean because the ultrasound pointed to an 11-13 lb. baby. Well, he was only 8 lbs. 10 ozs., so they were way off and it turns out surgery was unneeded, because I delivered my first vaginally at 8 lbs. 6 ozs. with no problems (I'm 5' 11" and 230 lbs.- but I'm a total "apple" - I have thin arms and legs). Anyway, since then my cycle is waaay off. I expected it to be off for a while, because that's completely normal after a birth, but it's been 8 1/2 months now. I got a light period after 4 months, but since then I have irregular spotting only. Sometimes it shows up at the time I'm supposed to have my next period and I think that's what it is, but it never progresses past light spotting. Other times it's completely random when it shows up. And what's really worrisome is the sharp abdominal pains I get, again, randomly. Also, and I'm not sure it's related, but I tend to think so because it's also hormone-related, is the fact that I've been getting acne lately like I did when I was a teenager. I'm also crabby and run-down. I didn't breastfeed and am 27. Anyone have any ideas or think this could be PCOS? Thanks so much!
It is possible that it could be PCOS but I would check with your doctor to be sure. Up until your babies were born did you always have regular periods? some signs of PCOS include excessive weigh gain, excessive hair on the body, acne, irregular periods and some other symptoms I can't remember right now. If I were you I would see your gyno and possibly an endocrinologist (hormone doc) and see if it is PCOS. It could very possibly be related to having kids but you need to ask a doc to be sure. Hope that helps a little.