Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
Yasmin and obese and over 40

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

Yasmin and obese and over 40

I am a Brit who has recently moved abroad. Throughout my adult life in the UK I have been prescribed the contraceptive pill (Yasmin, Dianette) to treat the symptoms of PCOS. During my last visit to my UK doctor at age 40 I was advised that I should be planning to discontinue this treatment as it was not recommended for use in the over 40's. I am obese, which I am aware is another reason to discontinue this course of treatment.

I have since moved abroad and don't speak the language. I have a supply of Yasmin which I have stockpiled by ordering them online. I am approaching 42 and want to address the issue of the best course of treatment for my PCOS without risking thrombosis. I have found that reducing the pill dose to just one pill every other day enables me to manage my PCOS symptoms. If I reduce the dose further my symptoms return. Am I doing enough to reduce my risk of thrombosis, or is there another type of treatment which others can recommend?