Pregnancy: Oct 2012 Babies Community
38 wks and wanna stop pain meds

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in October 2012.

38 wks and wanna stop pain meds

I have been on pain meds (percocet) since a month before I conceived. I was in the process of finding out what was wrong with my back after a car accident. The 2 bulging discs and left ARM nerve damage was already found. I was also on q muscle relaxer and NSAiD while also attending physical therapy. Of course once I found out i was pregnant my ortho doc said basically he couldn't touch me anymore. I told my OB the meds I was on and they told me to stop all but the percocet. I was told to try not to use it daily. My primary doctor began to write my scripts with my OB writing it maybe 2-3x when I hadn't seen my primary. That brings me to now. At 30 wks I was put in bed rest for "preterm labor. Dilated 2cm. Of course being In bed that much caused an increase in my back pain n additional pains. I have been taking it now 3-4x a day. Just recently I felt the baby will be here soon time to cut back. I'm now 38 wks so off of bedrest. Well I'm having a very hard time decreasing. I feel terrible and am in constant pain. What do I do? I dont want my baby to be born addicted. I also haven't really mentioned to my doc that I have been taking daily several times a day although my script does say that as needed. What can I do? Is it safe to just stop? If I stopped cold turkey today which will be very very difficult would the baby test positive and or go through withdrawal? Is that what I am experiencing when trying to stop? I feel like I've just been trapped in something just recently. It wad never like this before. Any help especially from someone who has been here personally would be great. Thx!