Pregnancy Expert Forum
How Childbirth Can Affect Nissen Procedure

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

I am 29 weeks pregnant. I had a laparoscopic fundoplication for GERD in 2003 and am now expiencing pain in the region of my chest where the procedure was performed when I cough and sneeze. In previous weeks, I have experienced extreme muscle tightness and soreness, as well.  I am EXTREMELY concerned that I may experience complications during childbirth. What are your experiences with and/or thoughts on this topic?
Thank you

I haven't cared for a patient in this circumstance, but I do know that the changes in pregnancy can potentially effect your prior surgery.  In pregnancy, the lower esophageal sphincter loosens making reflux (GERD) worse and in some women almost unbearable.  

Also, it is possible the prior surgical site could be disrupted.  This is less likely the further someone is away from the surgery (in your case 5 years and thus well healed), but if you are having symptoms you should be evaluated and imaged.  I recommend you talk with your ob/gyn and the surgeon who performed your Nissen regarding your symptoms and risks in pregnancy.

Best regards,

Dr. Downing