Pregnancy Expert Forum
Possible Inguinal Hernia and Pregnant
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Possible Inguinal Hernia and Pregnant

About three years ago I discovered a weird bulge next to my pelvic bone on my left side.  It was not visible just by looking at me, you had to push on my abdomen and manipulate it.  My primary physician said it was an inguinal hernia and I was sent to two surgeons--one who confirmed it and another who couldn't find it.  I was completely asymptomatic, aside from an occasional dull ache or two.  I basically forgot about it and never had it treated.

I am now eight weeks pregnant and very anxious about what this could mean for me and my baby.  I've noticed it a lot more lately (this could be due in part to my anxiety causing me to fear the worst) and I'm concerned about the likelihood of my intestines becoming strangulated in this hernia, especially as my abdomen begins to expand from the pregnancy. The thought of having surgery while pregnant is very scary to me.  Additionally, can I have a vaginal delivery with an inguinal hernia?  It seems to me like all the pushing and pressure of labor and delivery would be dangerous.  I plan to discuss this with my midwife in a few weeks when I see her again, but wanted an opinion in the meantime.  

Thank you in advance for your help.