This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.
History: My wife is a healthy 36 yr old & is very fit & very health conscience. “Due date” is Aug 15th (according to last period)/Aug 20th (according to the first sonogram). She’s had 1 or 2 ovarian cysts over the past 5-6 years that have enlarged causing spotting/pain & have caused monitoring by our docs, but have always gone away & not required any kind medical intervention/surgery.
Current: All tests/sonograms/doctor’s visits have had positive results except for 1. During the regular 1st prenatal visit to the OB/Gyn on Jan 08th it was discovered that the corpus luteum (C.L.) was larger than normal & was ~7.3 cm. We were instructed to limit physical activity (which she/we did) to avoid possible torsion & to check it in 4 weeks. Went back on Feb 4th & the C.L. had only shrunk to 6.7cm (had only shrunk .5 cm). So far, the C.L. hasn’t caused any pain/problems that we know of. The doctor explained that there was a ‘window’ for surgery (?14-16?) weeks which was the “best time” for surgery as far as the fetus is concerned) so we scheduled surgery to lock down the date just in case it was needed. He was “hopeful” it wouldn’t be necessary. We are crossing our fingers that the C.L. will shrink but are a bit worried at the prospects of surgery. The doctor explained that if needed, he’d do a laroscopy to remove the cyst that would require my wife to be under general anesthesia. We are scheduled to go back for another sonogram on Feb. 19th & have surgery penciled in on Feb. 21st. Questions:
-How typical is it that the C.L. behaves like this – i.e. is “too big” doesn’t shrink? -Surgery is always a “risk vs. reward” – how much is the risk compared to the reward (both to the baby & my wife)? -Doc has been doing this for over 25 years. Wouldn’t it be prudent to request a second opinion? -Couldn’t we wait out the shrinkage a bit longer til the end of the safe window of surgery? -General thoughts on our situation? Many thanks in advance for any advice/feedback. Kirk
Anesthesia during pregnancy is quite safe and very unlikely to result in any untoward outcome.
I definitely would seek a second opinion. I have doubts that the cyst that has been seen is the corpus luteum. There are some types of ovarian cysts associated with pregnancy (e.g., theca lutein cysts) that will resolve on their own postpartum. Also, if your wife is asymptomatic (the likelihood of torsion decreases as pregnancy advances given the enlarging uterus) and the cyst is not concerning for a malignancy or enlarging, expectant mgmt is probably most prudent.
Copyright 1994-2016MedHelp International.All rights reserved. MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.