Pregnancy Expert Forum
high hcg
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

high hcg

I had an early scan today because I had some light brown with a little red spotting over the past two days. It has now resolved. My LMP was 6/22 putting me at a calculated 8 wks. I have a very irregular cycle so date of conception i really uncertain and the OB today my uterus felt more like 6 weeks and the transvaginal sonogram looked like 5 to 5 1/2 wks. He saw an intrauterine gestational sac, maybe a hint of a yolk sac, but no fetal pole or heartbeat. My cervix is closed and he no longer saw bleeding or a hematoma on the ultrasound and basically told me things seemed fine and I should have another sono in one week. He ordered basic labs and a hcg quant which I had drawn later that day and the hcg came back at 10,000.  At this level, should we have been able to see more on the ultrasound? Why would it be higher than expected based on the ultrasound age. This range is normal for 8 wks but not 5 1/2, what does this mean? Can my pregnancy still be normal with this hcg level? Should I request a repeat hcg as my ob only ordered one? I am so worried and really want this baby, and more than anything I just want to know what could cause this discrepancy between the ultrasound and the hcg level. Do I still have a chance at a normal pregnancy?