Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Aspirated food

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Aspirated food

Three days ago I aspirated a bit of applesauce and water. Since then I have experiencing chest pain and dry cough on and off. Chest x-ray was clear on day after incident. What is the likelihood that this will develop into aspiration pneumonia? Will this clear on its own and when do you think I will be in the clear? Chest pain is not getting worse at the moment.

Since it has now been approximately six days since aspiration, if pneumonia has not developed by now, it is unlikely to happen.  Apple sauce is a rather bland substance and I would deem it highly likely for any inflammation caused by it to clear spontaneously and soon.  If you have continued to feel better since you sent this inquiry, the odds are high in your favor that you are already “in the clear.”

Good luck