Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Brown mucus
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Brown mucus

Every morning when I wake up it feels as though I have a lump in my throat.  When I brush my teeth I start to spit up alot of brown mucus and blood and I wanted to know what that means and if it is coming from my lungs and is this a serious matter?
Related Discussions
242588_tn?1224275300
What you describe, brown mucus with blood, should always be taken seriously, regardless of the source.  It may be coming from anywhere in your respiratory tract; from the nose, sinuses or the area behind the nose, called the nasopharynx all the way down to the lungs.  You might get a sense of where it is coming from by noting if, when you raise it, the cough is almost like a clearing of one’s throat or a deep cough.

You should see your doctor so that he/she may, with questioning and physical exam, get a sense of where this material is coming from.  With that information, a chest x-ray, examination in the laboratory of the sputum and CT scan of your sinuses may be needed to localize the source and establish a diagnosis.

This is a serious matter that should not be put-off very long.

Good luck.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Blank
Allergy Tracker