Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
CT Scan of my chest

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

CT Scan of my chest

Hello I recently had a CT scan of my chest done and the findings were There is severe mediastinal and hilar lymphadenopathy. the larges lymph node is in the subcarinal region measuring 4.7 x 2.9 cm. There are numerous scattered noncalcified pulmonary nodules mesasuring up to 7 mm. My GI doctor is the one that discovered my lymph nodes were inflamed during a CT scan of my abdomen. He has me pretty freaked out about the CT scan results. He has me believing I have lung cancer. I go to see a pulomologist next Friday. Has anyone else had this happen to them? If so, what where the results? Does it really have to be cancer?
These findings definitely need not necessarily to be cancer, although that must be a consideration.  There are many non-cancerous causes of the CT findings you describe, one of the  most common being a disease called Sarcoidosis.  Some CT patterns are characteristic of one type of disease or another and a specialist, a Chest Radiologist, may be able to identify the pattern if it exists.

It is likely, however, that the diagnosis by CT Scan will remain uncertain and that you will need to have a lymph node biopsy.

Should the diagnosis prove to be a cancer, there is a good chance that it will respond to therapy, X-ray or chemotherapy.

I hope this proves to be a benign condition.

Good luck