Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Chronic Cough started 2 years ago, getting worse now

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

2 years ago, my family was sick. I came down with whatever they had and it turned into a horrible cough. I was up one night until 5am coughing...it wouldn't stop. I ended up going to the emergency room, thinking I was developing pneumonia. They x-rayed me and said no. The physician enraged me, saying I was "forcing the cough" (i.e, faking it) and he sent me home with sleeping pills. I slept for 2 days and the cough went away. Well, a year later, that same, mysterious cough returned. It surprised me when it returned, exactly like before. I feel I need to cough but it feels as though nothing ever comes out. I cough for hours sometimes. At the end of it, I feel mucous built up and I will cough so hard, it dislodges the mucous or sometimes I puke it up. I take a natural herb called Respiractin which helps some. I thought maybe this was developing into asthma, as I am around my  mom who smokes a lot. Not sure what triggers it...but it usually would only happen at night. Infrequent at first, now it's almost every single night and often during the day too. I take Antihistamine which helps sometimes...and lots of cough drops, which don't really do anything but soothe my throat. I don't have ins. so I haven't gone back to the hospital, because my emergency room visit took us 2 years to pay off. I can always feel it coming on, this desperate urge to cough...I also have drainage down my throat, tight chest and pain in my back (lung region) when I cough, I can feel the fluid in my chest which sometimes loosens when I cough hard enough. I am so tired of this every night...HELP!
There are many reasons for a chronic cough.  The most common ones involve the upper airway where drainage comes from the back of the nose and/or the sinuses.  This can be on an allergic, nonallergic or infectious basis.  Some people do, indeed, have asthma and this is the cause of their cough.  I would suggest talking with your doctor to determine the cause of the cough in an effort to control it.  A CT of the sinuses will let you know if this is coming from the sinuses or not.  If it is allergic, a possible visit to an allergist can help.  Pulmonary function tests (PFTs) can determine if you have asthma or not.