Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Cough all my life?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Cough all my life?

I have been coughing, blowing my nose, coughing up mucus, dry cough and cough at night all my life.  I cough all the time that I can't catch my breath.  When the seasons change I get sick.  I'm 78 years old.  It's frustrating when I am eating out or in church and the cough starts.  When the heater or AC blow on me it triggers it too and I cough till I want to throw up.  I've always had a tickle in the back of my throat.  
What you describe is consistent with some type of chronic lung disease that, with careful assessment by your doctors may be identified and be treatable.  For example, the tickle in the back of your throat could be a sign of what is called hyperactive airway disease that can occur anywhere in your breathing tubes, including your throat, (the most common example being asthma) or could simply be caused by post-nasal drip.

It is sometimes difficult for physician assistants or family doctors, no matter how skilled and professional, to determine the cause of chronic cough.  Many large medical centers, especially those associated with a Medical School, offer diagnostic and treatment for persons with a chronic cough in their Cough Clinics.  Given your age and the length of time that you have had this cough, I strongly recommend that you and your doctor locate the nearest University Medical Center Cough Clinic and make arrangements to be seen by their physicians.  

Despite the fact that you have had a cough, “all my life”, it may still be possible for these doctors to find the cause and treat it.  Do not hesitate to ask your doctor for his/her assistance in getting to the bottom of this problem.

Good luck