Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Coughed up small amount of blood

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Coughed up small amount of blood
For the past few days, I have been coughing a lot. I have had issues with chronic cough (possibly from allergies) for a few months. When I first woke up today, I went to the bathroom, and I coughed up mucus with a bright red, pea size amount of blood in it. I have not coughed up blood since, but my throat has been really itchy and irritated. I have recently had a barium swallow done to check for acid reflux, but I have not heard back from my doctor about the results. The barium swallow also caused a lot of issues (stomach burning/upset) and I am still experiencing issues from it two days after.

Is this small amount of blood something I should go to the doctor about today, or can it wait until I get another appointment with my ear, nose and throat specialist?
From your description, this would not be a matter requiring urgent medical evaluation.  Were you, since sending this message, to cough up more blood that would be an entirely different situation, requiring immediate evaluation by your doctor or in a Hospital ER.

This blood is likely to have arisen from inflamed tissue (bronchitis) and/or harsh coughing.  While not urgent, it has to be considered a potential sign of serious disease (as does the persistence of a chronic cough) and carefully evaluated by your doctors.

Good luck
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker