Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Dont understand why

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Dont understand why

Hi, basicly im new to writing on the internet but my heads been all over the place recently. Last august 16 months ago I got a cold and started coughing up mucus which I have been coughing up ever since. I went to the doctors in the UK constantly about it but they kept telling me it as a cold and was all mental.

This week I was diagnosed with emphysema, my doctor told me basicly my lungs were fu##ed! Im 22 years old, male, rarely drink, never do drugs and have never smoked in my entire life. I go to the gym 4 times per week and stay as active as i possibly can. I dont know my birth parents so cant trace any illnesses back through family howether I have had asthma all my life but have never had any asthma attacks or anything like that.

I moved to australia this march from the UK and it wasnt untill i went to the doctors here that they actually did any tests on me and found this illness. My breathing has been fine until recently howether I can get short of breath during cardio. My doctor told me to take my asthma inhailers and one tablet thats inhailed daily called spiriva. Since starting this my breathing has been terrible! getting out of breath and panicing somethings wrong as soon as I start any exercise.

Anybody know if spiriva makes breathing worse also why Im likely to have this disease. If i was in my 60s and smoked all my life i would accept it but it doesnt make sence at 22. Ive been told that ephysema can not be cured but if my breathings going to constantly geet worse then life doesnt seem worth it any more. Anyone know anything that could help please feel free to comment.  

Annonymus
There exists an inherited form of emphysema that can begin at an early age but, having clinically significant emphysema at age 22, would be most unusual.   Uncontrolled asthma can lead to what is referred to as “air trapping with hyperexpansion of the lungs” and the Chest X-ray appearance of this can be misinterpreted as emphysema.

Having a productive cough, however, is decidedly abnormal but consistent with the diagnosis of asthma, but also with chronic bronchitis and a number of other lung diseases, unrelated to asthma or emphysema.  If you have not had pulmonary function tests to address the question of emphysema, you should ask that they be performed.

Some individuals can have what is called a paradoxical effect from a given medication such as Spiriva.  With this drug that would be a worsening of respiratory symptoms rather than improvement.

I don’t know your options but my recommendation is that you arrange consultation with a lung specialist (Pulmonologist) to get to the bottom of your problem and determine exactly what is going on.

Good luck