Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Excessive clearing of throat

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Excessive clearing of throat

A few weeks ago I was sick with a standard sinusitis that I always seem to get everytime I get sick.  I have been diagnosed with severe allergies, I've gotten shots and I take claritin d  every day.  Afterwards I have noticed the need to excessively clear my throat.  I feel sometimes like I am drowning and cannot breathe.  I have noticed that my husband also is having this problem even though he wasn't sick.  Could this be an airborne problem? Or have we both come down with some weird infection that only attacks the throat.  We get some nasal congestion at night, but nothing that I feel is abnormal for me with my allergies.
The feeling that you are drowning and cannot breathe could be coming from postnasal drip.  This is drainage from the nose and sinuses dripping down the back of the throat.  There could be several reasons for this drainage.  One reason is an allergy.  A second reason is a non-allergic, non-infectious inflammation in the sinuses that can linger after a cold.  A third reason is the standard sinusitis you had a few weeks ago

Postnasal drip can cause breathing difficulty as a result of irritation of the throat and lungs.  You may experience the postnasal drip as a constant feeling of mucus at the back of your throat.  Typically this is worse at night when you lay down to sleep.  Generally this irritation feels the worst when you wake up and gets better as the day goes on.

The fat content in dairy products can thicken mucus.  Generally eating dairy products with less fat content is helpful.  Drinking plenty of water will help to thin the mucus so that it moves more easily.  As long as you are not on a fluid restriction you should be drinking 6 to 8 8-ounce glasses of non-caffeine non-alcoholic fluid daily.  Clearing your throat can irritate your throat and make it sore.  When you feel the need to clear your throat sip some water to clear the mucus.

An antihistamine can dry up the postnasal drip.  However, it may make the mucus thicker and more difficult to move.  A decongestant like Sudafed