Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Lung Polyp

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Lung Polyp

I just got over a bad stomach virus that ended with an ear infection and a bad case of asthmatic bronchitis. My doc. did a chest X-ray to check for pneumonia. It was clear but they found a polyp in my lung. I have never heard of this and I am worried sick. I know, of course, it could be lung cancer BUT are there other -not so deadly- reasons this could happen?  I had TB as a child (50 years ago and have a small scar) and I get bronchitis and sinus infections frequently.  And with this case, I have had a lot of mucus, wheezing and horrific coughing.  Can any of this possibly cause a polyp to form?  I just need something positive to cling to until my CT scan next week.  Also, I know that you usually don't survive lung cancer (for very long).  Are there any new treatments that are working, if it's found early?  Thank you so much for any info you can give me.  
Polyps, within the bronchial tubes, are rare and the cause unknown.  They are inflammatory structures and have been described in the lungs of people with asthma and in the lungs of individuals whose lungs were exposed to toxic substances, such as firemen breathing smoke.  These polyps are comprised of non-malignant tissue and are of no consequence, except when they are large enough to cause bronchial obstruction.  They have also been described in a condition called bronchiolitis obliterans.

While the cause is unknown, being inflammatory they could conceivably be caused by allergy or infection, especially viruses.
1 Comment
A related discussion, NF1 and endobronchial fibroma was started.
A related discussion, Diagnosis of lung polyps was started.