Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Lung exhaling from inside

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Lung exhaling from inside

This may seem like a silly question, but I've been having the sensation that when I breathe in and hold my breath, one of my lungs is expelling air from the inside without my exhaling.  I noticed that I was able to hold my breath for an unusually long period (for me anyway) without the compulsion to exhale,  as one normally would when the breath is held beyond a certain limit.  I also feel like when i do finally exhale, it is not as voluminous an amount as I took in on the inhale; like a percentage has been lost.  I though it might be a hole in the lung, but after stethoscope exam, nothing was found to be out of the ordinary.  I did have x-rays done 2 weeks ago, but those were normal as well.  

I do practice breathing exercises where I hold for 10 secs on a full inhale, and another ten secs on a full exhale.  Could this just be a result of increased lung capacity? Is what I'm suggesting even possible?  Thanks!
It is not possible to “expel air from the inside” of the lungs, without exhaling.  Such leakage would have to be from your windpipe, with air escaping from your nose or mouth.  It is theoretically possible, I suppose, that very small amounts of air could escape from a perforated ear drum.  That would probably be imperceptible.  It is possible to increase the length (of time) of one’s breath-holding capacity and with the distraction of the effort, not notice leakage.

The most important thing is the normal physical exam and the normal X-ray.  What you have experienced is most likely one of the perceptual tricks our bodies can play on us and not an indication of any abnormality or disease process.

If you need further confirmation you might ask your doctor to order pulmonary function tests.  Whatever you do, don’t spend any time worrying about this feeling.