Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Mucus

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Mucus

since I was pregnant with my first child,  March of 2005 I have been experiencing a bad conditon of spitting (with mucus).  I know for a fact it was a result of being pregnant because it was much worse while I was pregnant.  I would have to spit in a cup all day long. After I had my baby, it calmed down alot, but I still havent gone a day without it coming up.  When I'm laying on my back at night, alot of it will come up and I have to run to the bathroom.  A few times out of the day, I have to spit it out or grunge it through my throat. I went to the doctor about it a year ago and she gave me PREVACID...but it didn't work.  What do you think the problem could be?
Your doctor rightfully suspected gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and treated it with Prevacid® (lansoprazole).  Despite the poor response to Prevacid® (lansoprazole), that could still be the right diagnosis.  Your night time symptoms are strongly suggestive of reflux but there could be a problem with an esophageal motility disorder.  You may have to be tested with a pH probe or esophagoscopy by a gastroenterologist to either diagnose or exclude the diagnosis of GERD.  If the material that you spit is more liquid than mucus, that would so favor reflux as the problem.

Another possibility would be an esophageal diverticulum with liquid gathering in it and then spilling out, with little or no warning.