Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Persistant cough and wheezing in throat

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Persistant cough and wheezing in throat

I was wondering if you could maybe give me an idea on what is the cause of this, because I have been unsuccessful so far in getting a proper diagnosis and therefore treatment.
I have had this cough for nearly a year, the best way to describe it is; when you got a cold, you cough and get a sensation that something has been cleared from your throat, well this feeling is similar only it never gets cleared. When I cough it makes a strange sound and it feels like it is something there, but no matter how hard I try to cough it never clears. I have tried all standard and over-standard treatments and all was unsuccessful.
Also this is accompanied by wheezing usually on exhale but occasionally especially when lying down or not cleared my throat for a while on inhale too.
It causes me insomnia, severe anxiety and unability to concentrate and really impairs my every day life.
I was wondering if there was any way there is any reason for me to be concerned about cancer of the larynx or something serious, or what do you think the cause of this is?
I am a female, 23, my GP won't give me an urgent referral for an ENT specialist as he seems to think that my problem is not serious enough. ...
Thanks a lot for your help,
Cristina
Chronic cough is a very bothersome, but common problem.  The causes for this are usually initially separated into the upper and lower airways.  Lower airway causes include bronchitis, asthma, infection, foreign body etc.  Those common causes from the upper airways include chronic sinusitis, allergic rhinitis, nonallergic inflammation of the nose and sinuses.  Much less frequent causes may include cancer and other infrequent diseases, such as tuberculosis or fungal infections.  Coughing alone is an unusual presentation for these more severe and rare diseases.

The best approach to chronic cough is to initially define the site of the problem; upper or lower airways.  There is a series of tests that can be performed that can define this for you.  This is the only way you will be able to get to a definitive diagnosis and start effective treatment.  Some of these may include a chest x-ray, CT scan of the lungs, and spirometry.  This is a simple breathing test that measures how your lungs are working.

As this is a significant problem for you, I would highly recommend that you work with your primary care physician.  Then you can get a referral to an appropriate specialist to begin this process.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Popping in the nose when lieing down,plus wheezing, was started.
A related discussion, I cannot sleep due to wheezing-help! was started.