Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Phlem

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Phlem

Right now I have phlem in my throat that I can't seem to get out. It hurts to swallow. when i was brushing my teeth this morning I felt it try to come up. It only gagged me. My glands on each side of my neck hurt. I have taken some meds to loosen the flem (phlegm), but I still can't get it up. What should I do?
Postnasal drip is drainage from the nose and sinuses dripping down the back of the throat.  There could be several reasons for this drainage.  One reason is an allergy.  A second reason is a non-allergic, non-infectious inflammation in the sinuses that can linger after a cold.  A third reason is chronic sinusitis.  Postnasal drip can make it hurt to swallow as a result of irritation of the throat.  You may experience the postnasal drip as a feeling of phlegm at the back of your throat that gags you.  Typically this is worse at night when you lay down to sleep.  Generally this irritation feels the worst when you wake up and gets better as the day goes on.  The phlegm may "sit" there, especially when it is thick.  It may not move when you try to get it out.

The fat content in dairy products can thicken phlegm.  Generally eating dairy products with less fat content is helpful.  Drinking plenty of water will help to thin the phlegm so that it moves more easily.  As long as you are not on a fluid restriction you should be drinking 6 to 8 8-ounce glasses of non-caffeine non-alcoholic fluid daily.  Clearing your throat can irritate your throat and make it hurt to swallow.  When you feel the need to clear your throat sip some water to clear the phlegm.

An antihistamine can dry up the postnasal drip.  However, it may make the phlegm thicker and more difficult to move.  A decongestant like Sudafed
1 Comment
A related discussion, What do you recommnend was started.