Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Pneumonia/Lung Scarring
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Pneumonia/Lung Scarring

Two months ago I was diagnosed with Pneumonia and Pleurisy of the Right Lung which was not found in a chest X-Ray, but in a CT Scan. I was given a Z-Pack for 5 days. The pain in my upper right quadrant went away, but on the 3rd day of taking the Z-Pack, I developled a profound cough and shortness of breath was persistant. Once the Z-pack was finished, my doctor prescribed Levaquin, but after 2 doses I had a rapid heart beat. He then told me to discontinue taking it. I have had several tests done including a Full PFT with dialator which shows restrictions in the airway. I recently had another CT Scan which reported scarring in both the upper Left lobe and lower right of the lungs. I have been taking Advir 2x daily for the last 2 weeks and the coughing is now minimized, some days worse than others. I cough mostly when I am at work. My pulmonologist says that he is not sure how to diagnose me b/c I do not have asthmatic symptoms and he thinks I may be developing Restrictive Airway Disease. That sounds a bit vague to me. He has requested a V-Q Scan and a Methacholine test in addition to all the testing I have had done. I have read that Methacholine tests are done to determine Asthma. If I do not have asthmatic symptoms, I am not sure why he is requesting that test. Also, if I had Pneumonia and Pleurisy in the Right Lung, why or how did the left lung get damaged or have scarring? I am still having shortness of breath and rapid pulse rate (111 beats per min). My Pulmonologist doesn't seem very confident in what he is doing. I am very concerned. When I make my bed I become winded, if I walk up a flight of stairs I become winded also, simple activities causes me to become short of breath. I have never smoked and I am only about 15 lbs over weight, 10lbs was gained in the last month. Please help...