Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Question about blocked Maxillary Sinus opening

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I have a question please.  I had sinus surgery 1 1/2 years ago and lately have been having a lot of sinus headaches and over the past year and a half have still had several sinus infections.  My ENT did a CT scan last week but I don't see him for a week.  Here's my question, the CT scan came back showing a scar had formed over the maxillary sinus opening, thus blocking it.  In general how does an ENT go about removing the scar to open it back up?  I'm hoping you say this is an in the office procedure as I don't particulary want to go through sinus surgery again.

Thanks for your help,

Kim H.
It depends!!  No matter how this is done, it will be a type of surgery.  It is not uncommon for repeat procedures following sinus surgery.  There is a fairly high percentage of people who require more than one procedure.  The issue for you in this particular case is the method required to reopen the sinus cavity.  If this can be done with a probe as an office procedure, you will get your wish.  If it is more complicated than that, you need to discuss the options with your surgeon.