Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Sore sternum- GERD/Sinus Infection/ more?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I have recently been diagnosed with mild gastritis and acid reflux.    My original symptoms were burning in the throat and chest.    Then almost 3 weeks ago I started with a deep chest cough.  At first the Dr thought it was from GERD, but when I went back 2 weeks later they said the cough was coming from my sinuses with white stuff dripping down.  At first gave me cough pills then I called him back when in it continued and received Zithromax.   I am only 2 days into the round of treatment.   However, my chest is so sore--the sternum and both sides of my chest - especially under my breasts are sore to touch and even with deep breaths.  

I have been experiencing insomnia for some nights, which I though were related to the Prevacid (before I started the Zithromax).  So I stopped the Prevacid and I am waiting for another option.   Last night I woke up in a with a racing heart and chills.....  throughout these few weeks I have been running on and off a low-grade fever.    

Could the soreness just be related to the GERD and/or cough or could I also have pneumonia?  (I know it isn't my heart they have done several EKG's and those were fine)...  

I still have the loose cough, unfortunately I am never able to bring it up all the way to see what the sputnum looks like- it makes me gag.  

Any suggestions?  Do I call back or wait out the zithromax?  I just feel so cold right now and worried with the holidays coming up....

Sounds like you have had to cope with some pretty unpleasant symptoms.  Keep in mind that there might be more than one cause for your cough, perhaps from both from gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and postnasal drip (PND).

The soreness of your sternum and your chest adjacent to it is likely to be from inflammation of the cartilage at the end of your ribs, due to the cough.  That would make it a musculoskeletal pain but your other symptoms such as the chills, fever and racing heart, are not are not from a musculoskeletal problem.  Rather, these symptoms suggest infection and warrant further investigation.  At a minimum, you should have a physical examination of your heart and lungs, a blood count and a chest x-ray and sooner, rather than later.

Also, be aware that a couple of electrocardiograms (EKGs) does not rule out the possibility of a recurrent rate or rhythm disturbance of your heart or even the possibility of infection that involves one or more parts of your body, including your heart.

Good luck.