Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Spot on chest xray - what are the possibilities?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I went to see the PA for a chronic dry cough of 4 months duration.  This is the 2nd or 3rd episode I've had.  She ordered a chest xray.  The xray tech, PA, and even I were able to easily see a bright spot that appeared to be on the lower left lobe.  All else looked normal.  A repeat (same day) showed an even brighter more well-defined spot.  Radiologist's report says 'Negative'.  PA not satisfied and has asked I repeat the chest xray in 1 month.  Meanwhile I am very concerned.  What are the possibilities for such a spot on a chest xray?  Would you recommend I see a pulmonologist or just let things run their course?

Additional info that may be helpful: She found nasal drainage and inflammation she said was typical of allergies and could cause a cough.  A week's treatment with Allegra and Flonase have not helped with symptoms, however.  I smoked 20 years ago for about 5 years.  Other symptoms include night sweats, and possibly a little shortness or breath (may be my imagination working overtime.)  I am 45, female, physically fit.
I recommend that you ask the PA to go to the x-ray department and look at the film with the radiologist.  My guess is that the spot is an artifact and not reflective of anything in the lung itself.  It could be due to technical problem with the way the x-ray was taken or, more likely, a blemish that occurred in the developer.  Such shadows tend to be "shiny" and are readily recognized by a radiologist.
1 Comment
A related discussion, spot on chest was started.
A related discussion, chest spot was started.