Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Spot on chest xray - what are the possibilities?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Spot on chest xray - what are the possibilities?

I went to see the PA for a chronic dry cough of 4 months duration.  This is the 2nd or 3rd episode I've had.  She ordered a chest xray.  The xray tech, PA, and even I were able to easily see a bright spot that appeared to be on the lower left lobe.  All else looked normal.  A repeat (same day) showed an even brighter more well-defined spot.  Radiologist's report says 'Negative'.  PA not satisfied and has asked I repeat the chest xray in 1 month.  Meanwhile I am very concerned.  What are the possibilities for such a spot on a chest xray?  Would you recommend I see a pulmonologist or just let things run their course?

Additional info that may be helpful: She found nasal drainage and inflammation she said was typical of allergies and could cause a cough.  A week's treatment with Allegra and Flonase have not helped with symptoms, however.  I smoked 20 years ago for about 5 years.  Other symptoms include night sweats, and possibly a little shortness or breath (may be my imagination working overtime.)  I am 45, female, physically fit.