Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Strep antibodies - autoimmune?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Strep antibodies - autoimmune?

I've been sick for the last two months with a neverending runny nose, a deep chest cough and my biggest complaint, severe body aches.  I went to an urgent care facility that did a rapid strep test which came back negative.  At that point, the diagnosis was pharyngitis and I was given a 10 day course of amoxicillan.  The amoxicillan took care of a sore throat and a fever that I had when I went to urgent care.  A month and a half afterward, my aches, runny nose and wet cough hadn't gotten any better so I saw my primary and she took some blood samples - checked my iron & ferritin levels, my TSH levels and she did a CBC panel and an arthritis panel.  A week later I get a call from her office saying everything came back normal except that I had a build up of strep antibodies in my joints.  I've been put on penicillan to treat it.  

I'm just worried that this is an autoimmune problem.  When I was 18 months old I got sick with a run of the mill viral infection that eventually caused my body to attack itself.  I had a fever of 104 and it caused a severe to profound bilateral hearing loss.  I'm just looking for a more in depth explanation of what is currently going on with me and is it something I should be concerned about??