Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Toddler and RAD
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Toddler and RAD

Good morning,

Prior to this fall, my son didn't haven any obvious "asthma" problems.  He had one incidence of wheezing in the spring that lasted two days, but never got severe enough for us to worry about it.

This fall, following an exposure to mold and fiberglass, AND following a cold, my son developed a severe wheezing episode.  We waited for it to abate, but after about 8 hours had to take him to the emergency room for a breathing treatment. He was given albuterol and an oral steroid, and was fine.  Our guess at the time was that the exposure to mold and fiberglass had done it (my wife, who has asthma, also had a very severe asthma episode at that time).

A month later, my son caught a very mild cold.  Surprisingly, to us, this also ended up in a very severe wheezing episode, worse than the first time (less rattle, more tightness).

The doctor was reluctant to diagnose asthma, but suggested that this might happen to my son every time he gets a cold.  He put us on a cromolyn inhaler, twice a day.

My son is currently 18 months old.

I have two questions:  
This being the flu season, we are doing our best to keep the kid away from people who might have flu.  Our main concern is that by taking my son to the hospital for rescue treatment we will be exposing him to the flu.  Can/should we call ahead to the hospital to see if we can effect some respiratory privacy in the ER?

Also, how effective is cromolyn at controlling something like
this?  These days, we jump every time he sneezes, and have given him an albuterol treatments on several false alarms.