Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Tuberculosis medication and side effects, please help!!!
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Tuberculosis medication and side effects, please help!!!

In Jan 06 I was ill with cough, cold and irregular fever (no sweat and no weight loss) for almost 2 months. Later in April 06, I got a small lymph node at the neck. After the blood test doctor diagnosed it as Tuberculosis but the chest x-ray was clear. They started my treatment for TB related to lymph node.  Starting from 25th July 06 for the first 3 months medicine was as follows:
Rifampin 7 a day, Ethambutol 2 a day and pyridoxin 1 a week

After continuing medication for 3 weeks I felt severe pain in my right leg (in between  my knee and heels). Doctor done the bone scan on it. I don't know the exact report for it but doctor suggested that the pain might be the medicine side effect and it will go away eventually. After 3 months (during which pain in leg was continued) my medicine was changed as follows:
Rifinah 2 a day and pyridoxin 1 a week

After changing the medicine, the pain in leg was slowly disappeared. Just to make sure doctor done one more bone scan on my leg in Jan 07. They found a spot (near the  
bone) and suggested that it might be related to bone TB. Since I was already on the TB medication they asked me to continue it for longer time. I continued the medicine for almost 10 months till August 07.  By this time the lymph node at the neck was vanished completely.

After 2 months of finishing the medicine the pain similar to right leg re-appeared but in left leg. It was not severe and disappeared in a month’s time. Doctor still done an MRI scan and it reveled 3 small spots (again near the bone) and referred back me to the TB doctor.

I've already taken the medicine for 13 months and now I'm afraid that TB doctor may ask me to continue it for few more months. I'm not sure if it's really a proper diagnosis and taking the TB medicine for such a long time may cause any other side effects.
I'm not sure what to do now? Please help!!! Thanks for your help.