Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Walking Pneumonia recovery

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Walking Pneumonia recovery

Two weeks ago, I was told that I had a nodule on my left lobe "not pneumonia"- but put on an antibiotic- and when I saw the DR several days later, he diagnosed walking pneumonia.  Not much energy, not a lot of cough until this week, but I seem to have a spurt of energy and then wear out.  I have pain in my chest through to the back.  Is this usual and is taking naproxen sodium for the pain (after a phone diagnosis of pleurisy) appropriate??  I know that this is supposed to be a mild form of pneumonia.
“Walking pneumonia” is a clinical diagnosis that usually means a viral infection in the lungs.  It could have a positive finding on an x-ray, coughing, lack of energy and possibly pain that is felt in the back.  It does not usually respond to antibiotics because it is a viral infection and may take 1-3 weeks to completely resolve.  Pleurisy is an inflammation of the lining of the lungs that can accompany pneumonia.  It does cause pain and naproxen is fine for this.  

However, if what you are experiencing continues without getting better, it should be checked out further to be sure that is the cause of what you are experiencing and the “nodule” on the x-ray, as there are other possible causes for these symptoms and findings, as well.