Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
excessive mucus after a tosillectomy/adenoidectomy

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

My 2 1/2 son had surgery 9 days ago to have tubes in his ears, have his tonsils out and also adenoids (adenoids) out. He is generally healing well, except that he has a huge excess of mucus (very thin and clear) after sleeping. It takes him 25-45 minutes after waking up to clear the mucus from his mouth and nose - sometimes I have to help wipe it with a cloth even. He's coughing and choking through it, and very upset. Will this go away on it's own (is it part of the healing process?) or is this something to be concerned about?
And is there anything I can do to help reduce this build up of mucus? We are up every two hours in the night because of it...?
Thanks!
Tags: mucus
The mucus could simply be an exaggeration of the normal healing process, but if so, with normal recovery, it should be subsiding by 9 days.  Your best bet is to call the surgeon, or your son's pediatrician, who not only knows your son's general health but also knows the appearance of the inflamed tonsils and the extent of the surgery.  The surgeon undoubtedly has had a lot of experience with this type of surgery, with all the facts of your son's disease and surgery, and is the best person to render an opinion on whether the seemingly excessive mucus is abnormal and what should or need not be done about it.