Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
lung nodules
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

lung nodules

I had a CT done for another issue and they found noncalcified lung nodules at the base of each lung between 4mmand 6.5 mm Imy doctor said they are believed to be granulatomas. I received a copy alf the radiologist report which basically the same thing and that they are subpleural in nature. To follow up with a chest CT.It showed mu liver -gallnladder and pancreas to be good. Why I am worried my sister died of lung and liver cancer but she was a 50 year smoker of non filtered cigarettes. I smoked for about 10 years but a have quit for over 20 years.I'm scared because I read noncalcified is almost always malignant. I am a 62 year old woman with RA. I sent my radiologist report to my Rheumotologist he said he agrees with my primary care doctor. Should I be as worried as I am
242587_tn?1355427710
Your worry about lung cancer is understandable given, your experience with your sister’s illness and death.  That is a very scary thought but, based on the information you have provided, I believe your fears to be unwarranted.  These are multiple, very small nodules that, by your description, are most consistent with granulomas, including so-called Rheumatoid nodules, associated with RA.  

You are mistaken about non-calcified nodules being “almost always malignant.  While most lung cancer lesions are non-calcified, the overwhelming majority of non-calcified nodules, especially of this size, are benign (non-malignant).

I agree with what has been recommended by your PCP, your Rheumatologist and the Radiologist.  You and/or they might also try to locate and obtain any and all previous chest X-rays, for comparison with the present images.

So good that you quit smoking and with that single act greatly reduced your chances of ever having lung cancer.

Good luck
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
242587_tn?1355427710
David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank
National Jewish Health
Denver, CO
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank