Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
old lungs

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

old lungs

well....about a year and a half ago my lung collapsed on me, i am 20 now. the doctor who put the tube in did not know what he was doing as he said he was going to put tubes down my throat to reinflate it, at that trime my usual doctor came in and told this jerk thats not how they do it here...he is from africa maybe that is why. anyways so he was told hwo to do it right. i was his first peice of meat for this operation, i think he messed up the first time he put the tube in cuz i could hear it leaking and making sucking sounds. so he did it again....was in the hospital for 5 days and the lung didnt stay up so i was flown to a city hospital where they stapled my lung against my chest or whatever was done. my lungs were bothersome before this ever since i quit smoking crystal meth when i was seventeen, had started smoking it when i was fifteen and started smoking pot when i was thirteen. i dont smoke ciggarettes and never have. my pot intake on a normal day is only 6 inhalations, sometimes a hoot or 2 more or less. so the main issues are constant urge to hork this phlegm feeling out of my throat...feels like its right at the ball of the throat and think it may come from my sinus. every morning i wake up and hork out nasty colored phlegm ranging from yellow green brown. i have this feeling of chest tightness maybe, im not even sure anymore and sometimes get sharp pains in my chest. could i be allergic to pot? it never really bothered me before i quit meth and now i cant stand being around a cigarette as where it never bothered me much when i was younger. i cut back on greasy fatty foods such as milk or whatever would advocate phelgm problems. i also sometimes blow alot of snot out of my nose. help please!!!
Tags: phlegm
Sounds like the phlegm could be from inflammation, originating in your nose and/or sinuses.  But that would not ensure that some of it is also coming from your lungs as a result of bronchitis, due to the smoke you inhaled.  If so, your current smoking of pot may keep the mucus coming.  The chest tightness suggests that you could have asthma as well, and it is characterized by white or clear mucus.

You should have a breathing test to get an accurate measure of your lung function, help diagnose asthma and give you a sense of how urgent it is that you stop smoking altogether.  With the badly discolored phlegm, you will probably need antibiotic therapy to clear it up, regardless of whether it is coming from your lungs or your sinuses.  You might want to assume that at least some of your problem resides in your nose and sinuses and start doing nasal washes, along with the antibiotic.  A nasal wash will remove mucus from the nose and sinuses.  To learn more about this technique please read our nasal wash treatment information by copying and pasting this address

http://www.nationaljewish.org/disease-info/treatments/alt-ther/nasal-wash.aspx

into the address window of your internet browser.  Share this information with your doctor to see if you would benefit from this daily treatment.

Good luck.