Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
resistant bacteria?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

resistant bacteria?

hi there. have you heard of inner ear bacteria or sinus infection lately that is resistant to antibiotics? i have taken 3 rounds of antibiotics now (2 weeks of clindamycin HCL and 1 week of cipro) and both times my labrynthitis (that appeared after a chest cold) has cleared up within a day of starting the round of antibiotics and returned 3/4 days after stopping (with 0 symptoms while on the meds). like clockwork. a new doctor sent me home today convinced it was a coincidence and only viral and told me to wait it out. i went to urgent care after that and when examined she saw signs of a sinus infection as well as my complaints of pressure in my ears and dizziness/vertigo so she prescribed me 2 weeks of doxycycline. since i started on my 3rd round today, i am already seeing an improvement for the 3rd time (vertigo fading and teeth/cheeks not throbbing anymore). ...how on earth could this bacteria have lived through 3 weeks (2 weeks on, 1 week off, 1 week on) of antibiotics already?
The nature of bacterial infection response to an antibiotic is such that, depending on the biologic characteristics of the bacterium and the location of the infection, multiple week antibacterial treatment may be required to eradicate it.  Your history of improvement multiple times, temporally related to antibiotic administration, suggests a therapeutic response but your first doctor was right at that time to suggest that your infection was most likely to be viral, rather than bacterial.

Should your symptoms ultimately recur following completion of antibiotic therapy it would behoove you and your doctors to request consultation with an ENT specialist to determine if there might be factors in your body, anatomic or immunologic, to account for the recurrence.

Good luck