Self-Improvement Coaching Expert Forum
Acute Stress Reaction

This forum is for questions and support regarding tips and techniques to help people begin to take accountability and responsibility for their general well-being and move towards improvement in all areas of their life: work, home, and relationships.

Acute Stress Reaction

Long term Anxiety/Depression conditions (general, panic, somatization). Current Acute Stress situation, starting to taper now. All of a sudden joints in shoulders, elbows hands ache moderately. Waking with numb hands, cold to touch. Should I exercise this or rest this?
I would recommend a visit to see your physician to rule out a medical condition first.  Anxiety and stress are known to cause a variety of somatic symptoms and physical distress.  Once you are sure that you don't need to address a medical situation, and then it's about looking for symptomatic relief.  What I have experienced with my clients is that the more you focus on anxiety, the more you get.  So, the key is to promote relaxation.  However, it might be helpful to identify what your anxiety triggers are.  For example, it might be beneficial to record or jot down your symptoms on a daily basis to try to correlate what might be triggering some of these reactions.  For example, if you have to take an exam in class, or receive a performance review at work, you might notice that your symptoms intensify.  Once you are clear what these triggers are, you might be able to reduce their intensity.

Remember, once you've addressed ruling out a medical condition, then you can go about the business of finding ways to reduce the anxiety.  If you haven't been able to feel relief, then please seek a counselor or therapist.  There are so many wonderful methods to try before using medication.  Please seek medical attention first, and then seek assistance to help you to find relief from your symptoms.  Help is available; there is no reason to suffer.

Your Forum coach, Wanda