Self-Improvement Coaching Expert Forum
Guidance please

This forum is for questions and support regarding tips and techniques to help people begin to take accountability and responsibility for their general well-being and move towards improvement in all areas of their life: work, home, and relationships.

Guidance please

Four years ago I was diagnosed with primary biliary cirrhosis.  I have decided to decrease my total toxic load and try to give my liver a chance to heal.  This has been working fairly well when i do the program I have developed.  In these four years, I have had many challenges...a husband  almost died from a motorcycle accident and needed 10 months of care; a father in law dx with prostate cancer moved into our home and needed seven months of care; my daughter had 2 serious hospitalizations and surgeries with complications and needed months of care.  Just four weeks ago, my daughter had a new baby then my husband's secretary moved and both asked me to help out.  I am a nurse by education and I am having a difficult time sticking to the program which may lengthen my life.  Any guidance please!
Usually, individuals that are attracted to the health and helping professions, including nursing, enjoy helping others and receive great satisfaction from giving of themselves.  My first career was a nurse, then therapist.  What I discovered is that the best way to help others and be there for the people that really need you is to first and foremost take care of yourself.  This approach is very foreign to me and other nurses.  After all, what reward is there to treat yourself as you treat others?  What I learned very quickly and early in my career is really no surprise.  Only by taking care of you completely and totally will you be able to operate at full capacity to be there for others.  

Imagine the “metaphor of a power generator.” ™   The ideal is that you, as a power generator, operate at peak efficiency, or full power, or 100%.  Ask yourself, right now, what percentage are you operating at?  For instance, if your answer is less than 50%, less than 25%, or lower, then you need to figure out a way to boost your power.  One way is to put yourself first:  to ask for help and support from others first.  After all, what’s the alternative?  Ask yourself, what will your significant others do when you’re not available?  If you’re constantly rescuing others at the expense of your health, what path have you chosen for yourself?  If you can’t accomplish this yourself, seek out a professional to help you start taking steps to support yourself.  Remember, you always get to choose.  If you don’t choose, the choices are made for you.  “Would you like to get back into the driver’s seat?”™

Your Forum coach Wanda